Competition Date: Saturday, April 29, 2017 12-4pm
Annual BBQ and Appreciation Event
Location: San Diego Archaeological Center
16666 San Pasqual Valley Road
Escondido, CA 92027-7001
Please see below for registration
Salsa will be judged in two categories: Traditional and Nontraditional. Please use ingredients that can safely be left unrefrigerated for at least two hours.
- Traditional salsa could include any varieties of tomatoes, onions and peppers. You may use any other ingredients you wish. Please limit heat level to under 50,000 SHU, no habaneros, ghost peppers, etc.
- Nontraditional salsa may include any ingredients, such as sweet or savoury items.
- This competition is for homemade salsa. Please use proper food handling procedures. There will be no facilities for preparation at the Center.
- You are limited to one entry per category.
- Please make at least one quart or more of salsa and bring a serving bowl marked with your name. One cup of your salsa will be put aside for judging.
- You must have a clearly written or typed list of ingredients for the public. Please include any spices used. If your salsa has any ingredients that commonly trigger reactions (tree nuts, gluten, etc.) they must be listed in bold at the bottom of the recipe. Indicate heat level with a sliding scale: Very Mild to Very Hot.
- There will be a winner and a runner up in each category. There will also be one People’s Choice award voted on by the attendees.
- Salsa will be judged on appearance, consistency and flavour. All entries will be judged with plain/salted tortilla chips.
- Please check your event program for times for judging and announcement of winners.
May the Best Salsa Win!